Having glass shower doors in your bathroom is a great way to raise its appeal and comfort level, not to mention add an air of luxury and sophistication to this often overlooked room of the home. But while glass shower doors offer a substantial improvement over that old shower curtain that’s caked with soap scum and mildew, it’s important to properly maintain them to make sure they’re not becoming a detractor in and of themselves.
Without a fair amount of regular attention from homeowners, glass shower doors in Alaska have the potential to become eyesores! Luckily, it doesn’t take much to keep them in pristine condition over the long haul: just some knowledge and a bit of elbow grease. Take a look at a few good tips you can follow:
- Clean your shower doors each week. Using a glass cleaner, spritz and wipe them down thoroughly, both inside and out. This will keep soap scum and hard water spots from building up over time and will keep the glass clean and clear of any blemishes.
- If you have particularly hard water in your home, apply a glass protectant to your doors, both inside and out. This will act as a barrier against hard water that might start accumulating after just one or two showers. This can be done every other week, after you clean your shower doors with glass cleaner.
- Depending on what type of door you have, it’s important to clean the frame of the door as well. For example, if you have sliding shower doors, clean out the tracks with a towel or rag, to prevent water buildups and growth. If you have swinging doors, be sure to clean the hinges and attachment areas.
- Always tighten any loose fixtures or fittings. If your door has a towel bar, for example, make sure it’s always staunchly in place and not wobbling at all. In many cases, this is as easy as using a screwdriver to tighten fittings.
What NOT to do
As important as it is to maintain your shower door, it’s just as important to remember what you shouldn’t be doing in your maintenance of that door. Take a look at a couple of things that you should always avoid when caring for your glass shower doors in Alaska:
- Never use abrasive brushes or cleaning utensils. This includes steel wool or scrub brushes, which will blemish your glass and cause micro-scratches that will worsen over time. Instead, use a squeegee or soft sponge when cleaning.
- Use environmentally safe cleaners. Cleaners with high pH levels or those with ammonia or bleach can cause glass blemishes over time.
Also, to maintain the integrity of your glass shower doors for as long as possible, make sure any damages are identified and remedied quickly. Small cracks, chips or abrasions should be looked at closely by a glass professional and resolved before they have a chance to get worse.
Take to consider all of the above information when maintaining your glass shower doors in Alaska and you’ll find that they look and function better over time, lending functionality and beauty to your bathroom.