“Magic mirror on the wall, who is the fairest one of all?” You may not have the answer to this question if your mirror is scratched, cracked or has black spots. Whether it’s due to improper care or simply the result of old age, many mirrors get damaged over time. Before you go out and buy a new mirror, you should know that many times mirror repair in Alaska is possible. Sometimes there are remedies that you can employ by yourself, but often times you’ll need to take your mirror to a specialist to have the mirror expertly repaired.
Here’s a closer look at some of the most common mirror problems, and how they can be fixed.
- Problem: Scratches in your mirror can occur for a number of reasons. Improper handling while moving the mirror is probably the most common reason, but scratches can also be the result of using a cleaning substance that’s too harsh on the glass.
- Home remedy: It’s possible to fix small scratches by yourself without the help of a professional. Experts recommend spreading a small amount of white toothpaste on the scratched surface and wiping it off with a soft cloth. The scratch should be less noticeable, but if not, take it to a professional.
- Professional repair: Professional mirror repair in Alaska requires a few tools and ingredients that you probably don’t have around your house. A professional can apply a jewelry polishing substance to the scratched area and then buff it out with a special drill and cloth.
- Problem: Oh no—your mirror has cracked! Superstitious folks would say that means you have seven years of bad luck. The crack can be another result of mishandling, strong vibrations or sudden temperature fluctuations. Luckily, a cracked mirror doesn’t have to be a bad omen—mirror repair in Alaska is possible.
- Home remedy: Fixing a broken mirror can be remedied the same way a windshield can be fixed: by buying a windshield repair kit that includes a resin, syringe, glass cleaner, etc. Unfortunately, repairing it yourself can be a lengthy and difficult process and actually make it worse when you’re finished.
- Professional repair: A professional may be able to repair the mirror in the same manner mentioned above, but will definitely fix it correctly. If a crack is deep enough, it may have damaged the silver backing of the mirror and will need to be replaced. Fortunately, we sell all types of mirrors for your home!
- Problem: Mirrors, especially antique mirrors, can develop black spots in different places on the mirror, making it more difficult to admire yourself. The spots can be the result of moisture in your home or the use of harsh cleaning chemicals.
- Home remedy: There are tons of different home remedies you can find on the Internet. The problem is that most of them involve a tremendous amount of work that you likely don’t have time to do yourself. A professional will need to fix this problem for you.
- Professional repair: Our professional mirror repair experts will be able to determine the exact cause of the black spots and fix them so the mirror looks brand new!
Get in touch with Replacement Glass today to learn more about your options for mirror repair in Alaska. We look forward to helping you!
Categorised in: Mirror Repair