When it comes to your business, first impressions are extremely important. Often the first thing customers see is your business’s storefront windows. Because of this, it’s important to keep your commercial windows clear.
And while you could hire a professional service that offers glass window cleaning, you could also try to tackle the problem yourself. But for you to do that, you’ll need some guidance on how to clean your commercial windows.
Here’s how to keep your commercial windows sparkling.
Supplies you’ll need
If you’re going to clean your business’s windows, you will need to have the correct equipment. These supplies aren’t terribly expensive, and you’ll be able to use them again and again:
- Squeegee: You’ll use this to uniformly wipe away any excess cleaning solution from your windows. It’s helpful in preventing streaks.
- Sponge: You can apply the window cleaning solution liberally with this, as well as use it for any light scrubbing that might be necessary.
- Microfiber cloth: This type of cloth is great for drying windows because it’s extremely absorbent and doesn’t cause streaks.
- Utility bucket: You’ll want a bucket that holds at least 6 gallons; if it has wheels, that’s even better. This will hold your cleaning solution. If you have windows that are higher up, you’ll want to use a smaller bucket without wheels.
- Scraper: You’ll need this tool to scrape off any stubborn debris that the sponge and cleaning solution can’t remove.
- Ingredients for a cleaning solution: There’s a bunch of different recipes you can use, but one of the easiest and most effective is a squirt of liquid dish soap into a bucket of water. You can use a mixture of equal parts white vinegar and distilled water for cleaning fingerprints and streaks from your windows.
How to wash your windows
Here are the steps to take as you wash your windows:
- Make the cleaning solution using water and dish soap. You can create a separate mixture using the white vinegar and distilled water and put it in a spray bottle for touch-ups.
- Use the sponge to generously apply the dish soap cleaning solution to the window.
- If you find any persistent stains at this point, use your scraper (a razor blade works if you use it correctly) to remove any paint, overspray or other stubborn gunk or marks. When using the razor blade, only use it on wet glass—don’t use it on tinted glass—and make sure to only scrape in one direction to prevent scratching the glass.
- Take the squeegee, and dry the glass going side to side beginning in the upper left corner of the glass. Dry the squeegee after each pass over the glass, and continue pulling straight across from left to right until the window is completely dry.
- Finish the process by using a microfiber cloth to fully dry the corners and clean up any spots you’ve missed.
Call for window service today
Now that you know how to keep commercial windows clear and some glass window cleaning techniques, give us a call at Replacement Glass. We’ve been in business for over 50 years, and we’re the industry experts when it comes to glass repair and replacement.
Categorised in: Commercial Glass